Today, we’re answering another common loafer question: Should you wear loafers with socks or barefoot?
Since loafers can be casual or formal shoes, depending on their style and color, there’s no one answer as to whether they should be worn with or without socks. Our rule (which is by no means the final word on loafers and socks) is that you should wear socks with loafers in a formal outfit, and go sockless in a casual outfit.
How to wear loafers without socks
The more casual the outfit, the more you shouldn’t wear socks. If you’re wearing tan, burgundy, or suede loafers with jeans or shorts, leave your socks at home. This is especially true if you wear shorts — socks with shorts just don’t look good in general. If it’s a hot summer’s day and you feel like wearing shorts and loafers, choose a pair of low-rise loafer socks if you really don’t want to go barefoot.
The same is true if you’re wearing anything in a light color. A light blue shirt, white trousers, and loafers are a classic combo, provided you leave your socks at home. In general, you should wear loafers without socks for any summer outfit and non-formal event. The same rules apply for boat shoes and driving moccasins, both of which look best without any socks.
How to wear loafers with socks
Things get difficult when your outfit gets more formal. If you’re wearing a suit with loafers, should you go with or without socks? Our opinion is that you can get away with wearing loafers without socks with a blue, gray, or brown suit, but not with black. If you’re wearing a black suit and loafers (also black, of course), it’s best to wear socks as well.
Simple, right? Ultimately, whether or not to wear socks with loafers is a personal preference thing. If you prefer to go sockless, or prefer a pair of socks, go with what you think looks best.
Also Check: 10 Best Loafers for Women
Need help choosing the right pair of loafers?
Whether you’re dressing for work or for a night out, loafers are versatile shoes that look good with almost any choice of clothing. Read our loafers buyer guides to learn more about the best leather loafers in all price ranges.
Loafer Shoe Socks
Thirty48 Team has designed a Perfect True No Show Socks to add styles into your daily wear. Don’t sacrifice style and fashion for comfort, now you can have socks that not only made for popular low-cut shoes but also help your feet stay cool and dry by rapidly wicking moisture away from your skin.
- Keeping your skin dry, under any activity.
- Maintains coolness in summer.
- Quick-dry and breathable and comfortable to wear.
- Machine wash in cold water and air dry and don’t dry clean, iron, bleach.
Buy the Best Socks for Loafers
1. Jormatt Genuine Mens Socks for Loafers, Sneakers
- Material:80% Combed Cotton+17%Polyester+3%Spandex.Not only are they comfortable, breathable, and great quality but they are also very durable.
- Real Invisible Socks: This no show socks fit most low cut shoe like Loafer, Sneaker ,Dress shoes and Boat shoes. Socks are not too thick or too thin, perfect for daily wear.
- Non-Slip: The back grips keeps the socks in place,doesn’t fall off the foot/into the shoe.
- SIZE: Fit Men shoes size 6-10/Women shoes size 8-12,the stretch of the socks are good.
- Package&Wash: Include 6 pairs cotton socks,machine wash with cold water.
2. WANDER No Show Cotton Loafer Socks
- 85%Cotton, 12%Polyester, 3% Spandex Mens No Show Socks.
- Restore: Socks contain more cotton fibers, and shrinkage during washing is unavoidable. When you use them again, they will return to their original appearance!
- When wearing most sports shoes or casual shoes, the products will not be displayed, but they are not suitable for very low cut boat shoes.
- Suitable Size: Comfortable and super elastic, suitable for socks size: (6-8) , soft wrapped around the feet.
- Breathable: The mesh breathable design keeps your feet fresh, odor-free and comfortable throughout the day.
3. ADFOLF Mens Socks Casual Low Cut Thin Loafers (6 Pack)
- Go casual, comfortable and stealth with our men’s no show socks. Featuring temperature regulating these no show loafer socks will keep your feet fresh, odor-free and cool all day long.
- Go casual, comfortable and stealth with our men’s no show socks. Anti-slip Ultra Low Cut Socks – These men cotton socks are ultra low cut to stay out of sight, while the silicon grip on the heel prevents these men socks from chafing and slipping throughout the day from walking, running, etc. temperature regulating these no show loafer socks will keep your feet fresh, odor-free and cool all day long.
- Designed to be hidden to the visible eye in most loafers, sneakers, boat shoes, etc. Lightweight thin cotton fabric, almost invisible and nicely finished seams. Real no show and ultra low cut socks for men.
- One size fits most. Men no show socks fit socks size 9-13, shoe size 6-12. Our no show socks are designed to mold to your feet and provide the most comfort for men. Package Includeds: 6 Pairs of No Show Loafer Socks.
3. Tommy Bahama Men’s 3 Pack Relax Loafer Liner Sock
- 52% Tencel, 28% Cotton, 18% Polyester, 2% Spandex.
- Tencel yarn wicks moisture from feet.
- The perfect sock for that no sock look.
- Machine Wash.
4. PEDS Men’s Coolfeet No Show Loafer Socks
- 92% Cotton, 8% Spandex.
- Deep heel pocket and gel strip for best fit and to prevent slipping.
- Reusable sock caddy keeps your sock drawer organized and makes socks easy to find.
- Flat seams and soft cotton fabric for comfort.
- 4 pair pack.
4. Amazon Essentials Men’s Loafer Liner Sock
- 86% Cotton, 11% Polyester, 2% Nylon, 1% Elastane.
- For everyday comfort and style, stock up on these must-have loafer liner socks.
- Everyday made better: we listen to customer feedback and fine-tune every detail to ensure quality, fit, and comfort.
- Machine Wash.
5. SIXDAYSOX No Show Loafer Socks for Men
- More Sizes-Please note that in order to meet customer needs and provide better service, SIXDAYSOX socks have been upgraded and added a size. Choose the size that fits you best and keep your feet most comfortable. size： M/Shoe Size 6-11/Sock Size 10-13 L/Shoe Size 12-15/Sock Size 13-15.
- Comfortable and Breathable-SIXDAYSOX no show socks are made of cotton-rich fabric, true seamless toe reduces irritation. Best of all, these no see socks wick moisture and will keep your feet dry all day long.
- Non Slip and Reinforced-Anti-slip silicone on heel to prevent slippage. In addition,SIXDAYSOX low cut socks used reinforcement technology on the toes and seams to make sure the socks can work longer.
- No show and suitbale for many shoes-Below ankle socks makes your feet completely invisible in sneaker and some low cut style shoes such as loafer. But it will show a little in very low cut boot shoes.
6. No Show Running Toe Socks Mens Liner Loafers
- Men’s Toe Socks: Our mens athletic sports five finger socks are constructed of 80% cotton, 20% spandex fiber, the low cut toe socks with breathable mesh sole, keeping the feet clean, dry, and flesh.
- No Show & slip-resistance: These men running toe socks with silicone heel grip technology ensures non-slip and your no show socks stay put all day long. Low cut and no show design socks fit great to your low shoes, make it invisible when wearing boat shoes or loafers.
- Five Finger Toe Socks: The mens low cut ankle socks let you stay comfortable & dry and allows your toes to align and splay naturally. Mens toe socks are compatible with traditional athletic, casual, or dress footwear as well as athletic running toe shoes.
- One Size for The Most: Our mens no show toe socks fit US Men shoes size 6-11, high elasticity, and be able to hold your feet tightly.
The reason is simple: black suits and shoes are very formal, and loafers are a relatively casual shoe. It’s okay to pair a casual shoe with a formal suit, but a black suit worn with loafers and no socks blends formal and ultra-casual in a way that just doesn’t look natural. Check out the above-listed loafers that suit you best and share your thoughts below.