Feel like a new pair of loafers? Brown leather loafers are some of the most versatile shoes a man can own. They look great with a pair of jeans, with slacks, and even with a gray or blue suit (for a black suit, it’s best to stick with black leather loafers). Few shoes can match the combination of style and versatility of leather loafers.
Many shoe companies make brown loafers at very different prices and levels of quality. You can get good loafers for under $100, but spending more gives you access to better quality leather, sturdier construction, and shoes that will last for longer, in some cases up to 20 years or more with proper care.
Below, we’ve reviewed three popular pairs of brown loafers for men — one pair that’s available for less than $100, another for under $200, and another for $200+. Read on to discover three great pairs of brown leather loafers for men.
Note: Are you looking for suede loafers? The review below only lists leather loafers. For suede, read our guide to the best brown suede loafers for men.
Bass Men’s Logan Flat Panel Loafer
1. Cole Haan Men’s Pinch Penny Slip-On Loafer
Bass makes great loafers at very reasonable prices, and the Men’s Logan Flat Panel Loafer might be the best value-for-money shoe the company makes. The Bass Men’s Logan Flat Panel Loafer is a simple but stylish loafer that’s made using high-quality brown leather and priced at less than $100 a pair.
- Timeless penny loafer design that suits casual clothing and office wear.
- High-quality brown leather upper, with a leather insole and leather outsole.
- One inch heel, adding a small amount of height to the wearer.
- Fits true to size and breaks in quickly thanks to its soft leather innersole and interior.
- One of the most versatile men’s leather shoes for under $100.
- Moccasin-toe penny loafer with a stacked heel and perforated footbed and sturdy heel.
2. Nunn Bush Men’s Lincoln Classic Penny Loafer Slip-On
- 100% Polished leather, Imported and Rubber sole
- Made with premium unlined smooth leather with authentic penny keeper and beef roll made this a true Classic
- Fully padded sock lining with Comfort Gel provides outstanding comfort right of the box. Can also be worn sockless.
- It is a perfect fit and Available in medium width and wide width for the perfect fit.
- Flexible rubber outsole for additional cushioning.
- Nunn Bush is highly regarded as a premier footwear brand by providing the best value and style in fine men’s footwear since 1912.
The Bass Logans are available in six colors, including a quirky black/white shoe. In our opinion, the tan loafers are the most versatile and look the best with casual clothing. The burgundy loafers look a little bit more formal and suit a blue or gray suit. If you’re buying these loafers for casual wear, stick with the tan as it suits the biggest variety of colors and styles.
Pricing for the Bass Logans can vary based on size, but almost all sizes are under $100. Despite their low price, these are high-quality shoes that are made using good quality, soft, and great looking leather. The construction is very well done, with great attention to detail. You’re not buying a designer shoe here, but the Bass Logans are built well enough to last for many years while still looking and feeling great.
One thing that separates the Bass Logans from other shoes in this price range is the outsole. Most sub-$100 loafers use cheap, flimsy rubber outsoles that don’t last. Instead, the Logans have a leather outsole that looks like what you’d find on a much more expensive shoe. The sole has aesthetic stitching and does a good job keeping the rain out, all while being very comfortable to walk in. Inside, you’ll get a contoured footbed that provides a reasonable amount of arch support.
Like most leather shoes, the Bass Logans take a while to break in. The shoes run true to size, but the first couple of days of wearing them can feel quite tight. Since the leather is fairly soft, breaking the shoes in isn’t a painful process, but you’ll probably want to avoid walking long distances in these shoes for the first 2-3 days of owning them. Most people will fit the D width, which is the medium width shoe.
All in all, the Bass Logans are great shoes that are available for a great price. While they lack the attention to detail of the high-end shoes, they look great with a wide variety of clothes, fit well, feel comfortable, and last for a long time with proper care.
3. Cole Haan Men’s Douglas Loafers
If you can afford to spend between $100 and $200 for a pair of brown leather loafers, the Cole Haan Men’s Douglas Loafers are a good choice. These loafers have an Italian leather upper, detailed stitching, and a very comfortable footbed that makes them a good choice for long days at the office and walks.
- Classic brown leather penny loafers that look good with jeans, business casual, or a suit
- Hand-burnished Italian bridle leather upper with high quality, genuine hand stitching
- A stacked leather heel that measures approx. one inch, giving a slight height increase
- Fits true to size, although can feel a bit small during the first week of wear
- Higher quality construction and materials than Bass Logans, especially the leather upper
The Cole Haan Men’s Douglas Loafers may look the same as the Bass Logans, but they’re a much higher quality shoe. The biggest difference is the leather upper: while the Logans use good leather, the leather used for the Douglas Loafers is softer, smoother, and looks much more full of life. The shoe’s color has more power and looks more natural than the less expensive Logans.
Another difference is the stitching and construction of the shoe. The Cole Haan Douglas Loafers have detailed stitching around the top of the shoe that’s done entirely by hand, whereas the stitching on the Logans isn’t as detailed. The differences are small but add up, especially when you compare the size of the shoe by side.
The Douglas Loafers have a hand-stained leather sole with a rubber insert, which provides a good mix of comfort and durability. The shoes are very resistant to water and can be worn in the rain without any fear of water leaking through the sole. The heel is made of stacked leather and adds about an inch of height, making the shoes a good choice that enhances appearance without looking too bulky. The insole is soft and comfortable, with a reasonable amount of support, making the shoes a pleasure to wear even for reasonably long city walks.
The fit is true to size, although these shoes can be quite tight during the first week as the leather stretches and soften and the shoe breaks in. It’s best to wear them for short periods for the first 2-5 days as they start to take the shape of your foot. After they’re broken in, they’re very comfortable shoes that feel natural on your feet.
The Cole Haan Douglas Loafers are good quality shoes that are priced very reasonably. The extra attention to detail is obvious, and the high-quality Italian leather upper makes them stand out amongst other shoes in the $100 to $200 price range. A great upgrade from the Bass Logans that look great, wear well and last for a long time with good care.
4. Cole Haan Men’s Wagner Grand Bit Loafer
- It is made of Leather material and Imported.
- The shaft measures approximately low-top from arch and Rubber sole
- Beautifully antiqued-by-hand leathers and soft, supple suedes.
- Cushioned leather footbed for ultimate comfort.
- lightweight leather/rubber outsole with heel veneering, combining a classic look with modern, innovative flexibility.
- Genuine woven leather bit for the craft.
5. Allen Edmonds Men’s Kenwood Slip-On
The Allen Edmonds Men’s Kenwood Slip-On is a classic brown leather loafer that’s handmade in the USA by one of the world’s most respected shoe companies. The Kenwoods are pricier than the other loafers on our list but are some of the highest quality men’s leather slip-on shoes you can buy for $200 to $300.
Handcrafted by Allen Edmonds in the USA, the Kenwoods are made using beautiful leather. Put these next to other loafers, even shoes in a similar price range, and the quality of the leather and the attention to detail in the handcrafted construction stands out. Allen Edmonds shoes look great and last for an extremely long time.
- Handcrafted in the USA by Allen Edmonds using the 800 last for the highest quality
- High-quality leather upper, leather interior, and leather manmade sole
- Beautiful picking details around the shoe, with careful hand stitching
- Classic styling that looks elegant and classy with jeans, slacks, or a suit
- Comparable to other shoes in the $500+ price range in terms of construction quality
The biggest difference between the Allen Edmonds Kenwoods and the Cole Haan Douglas loafers above is the quality of the leather and the handmade construction. The Allen Edmonds loafers use leather that’s quite thick, but it still feels extremely soft and smooth. The shoes are very comfortable on the feet once they’re broken in.
In terms of attention to detail, the Allen Edmonds is leagues above most other leather loafers. These shoes are handmade in the USA by expert shoemakers, resulting in the fine stitching and a handmade welt (the stitching that holds the shoe together). From a distance, they can look similar to other loafers, but when you put them side by side the difference in attention to detail becomes obvious.
The Allen Edmonds Kenwoods come in four colors: tan, burgundy, black, and burgundy gentry leather. The tan loafers are the most versatile and look the best with casual clothing. The burgundy loafers are also a stylish option that looks great with a suit. The black loafers are nice, but they aren’t as versatile as the tan or burgundy shoes and generally look best with a suit or very dark jeans. For our money, the tan ones are the ones to choose if you want a versatile, stylish shoe.
One of the most impressive features of the Kenwoods is hand welting. The shoes are put together by hand in the USA, and it shows. The soles are firmly held onto the shoe and the entire construction looks great. If you wear the shoes often and wear down the soles, it’s easy to take them to a cobbler and have new soles fitted. With the right care and attention, these shoes can last for 20 years and still look great.
At $200+, the Allen Edmonds Kenwoods aren’t cheap shoes. However, they’re built to last and will often come out cheaper over the long term than the several pairs of more affordable shoes you’d likely wear out in the same time period. The handcrafted construction, higher quality leather, and beautiful attention to detail make these shoes worth the $200+ price point. If you can find them on special (Amazon sometimes offers unusual sizes at a discount) you’ll get an amazing deal on excellent shoes.